Monday, December 8, 2008

Hockey Mom

My oldest son and his wife have been married for 10 years. Boy did that ever go by fast, and yet you know it doesn't seem that long ago.
"Oh No"I'm truly an old person---only old people make comments like that.
They went to Calgary to a concert and to visit family, and it was just a few hours after they left that it started to snow here at home. Boy didn't it snow!!!!
The roads were good for them on the way their but not so much comin home.

I was given the great job of taking care of their 2 girls (with the help of their other Grammy) "Would you mind Mom? They have hockey."-----" it's not hockey it's Ringette" as the youngest one continually reminds me. No, I don't mind.
No Problem.

You know both my boys were in hockey, so I know what it's like to get them home from school do homework, eat something (but not to much, or they get stomache cramps),run to the rink at all hours and sit "for hours". Tie up skates, but never tight enough----(thanks for the help Peter) fill the water bottles, try not to breath to deep as you help put on gear (that didn't get aired out) run back to the car for the forgotten stick (thankfully not all the way home) And then find a warm spot to sit on in the hard bleachers. And WAVE, must not forget to wave.
No problem.

Then get them home, fed again, showered (I'm not sure who got wetter, them or me) and into bed as fast as possible because they have school the next day. Then collapse on the sofa. Whew!!!

The experience is not unlike that of having children. You know, the actual giving birth part-----You only remember the JOY, not all the pain.

Would I take care of the girls for you?
No Problem



3 comments:

b said...

ah, yes, the hockey days! Time really does fly! (said one old person to another...lol)

mari said...

A couple years ago Beth and I were at the park with M and somehow Grandma Mary's age came up in conversation... she was 47 at the time (I think)and when she told me I responded "your only 47?!"
She felt pretty old looking that day - lol - although I of course meant it like "wow, your still young and your already a grandma..!"

When you have great grandkids - and we call you granny instead of grammy...that's how you'll know your old!

Liana said...

FYI mari ... I am 43 and will have my first grand baby in 10 more weeks. AND I will be granny. Guess that makes me old.